Busy being a mother and a wife and taking on the biggest challenge yet, a permanent move across the world. Read here my random thoughts, feelings and stories about my life that is about to be turned upside down (literally).



Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Love Me Some Muffins (recipe)

I recently started a dairy, wheat and egg free diet. Against my own will (kind of). I had been plagued with physical and emotional symptoms that my doctor couldn't get to the bottom of so I went to a naturopath. It took one prick of my finger, and a wait of 6 weeks to get test results informing me that I have many food intolerances. Dairy, wheat and eggs being the most predominant. Food intolerances are not to be confused with food allergies, allergies usually cause acute and sometimes severe reactions,  where intolerences can build up over years and cause many subtle symptoms such as weight gain, lethargy, moodiness and anxiety, all of which I suffered. So I had to do it, for the sake of my kids, my husband and most importantly ME.
Its been a tough 4 months, especially the giving up cheese part, although I am allowed goats cheese (Thank God) because I love it. I have found new favourites like Almond Milk, and a wheat-free bread from Stonemill Bakery that is the closest to real bread I could find. I am eating rice pasta, beans, lentils, and many fruits and veggies. So far it has been a success, I've lost about 15 lbs, I feel happier, more patient and more energetic. Its amazing how what we eat is so directly related to how we feel emotionally.
Here is the bad news, I can't have muffins, I LOVE muffins, for breakfast, a snack, dessert, anything. I am a mega baker of muffins, every weekend, every play-date, I was the muffin (wo)man. 
I know, I know, there are many wheat alternatives and I've read many recipes, but I'm a lazy baker, if I can't find the ingredients in my cupboard I don't make it. I've read some really yummy looking recipes  but couldn't even pronounce some ingredients let alone know where to find them. I plan to soon make more of an effort to stock my pantry but for now I'll experiment with what I have.
Here is a muffin recipe that is close to tasting of plenty dairy, wheat and egg yumminess. I managed to create this recipe using a few of my favourite "regular" recipes and I'm feeling like I finally got it right.

p.s I shop at No Frills and got 95% of my ingredients there

Oatmeal Fruit Muffins- Wheat, Dairy and Egg Free


I'm no food photographer but don't these look  Yummy!
note: not suitable for gluten free diets, only wheat free (if that makes sense) and I can't guarantee that some of the ingredients don't have a smidgen of wheat/dairy/eggs. I don't always read the fine print (told you I was lazy)

You'll need:
1 cup barley flour
1/2 cup oat flour (can easily be made by blending whole oats in a food processor)
1 cup quick oats  
2/3 cups golden sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup apple sauce (all I had was a Presidents Choice strawberry applesauce cup, so I used that) 
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1 apple peeled and grated (squeeze out excess juice)

-pre-heat oven to 400ºF
-mix together barely flour, oat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until well blended
-In a separate bowl mash banana well and then stir in applesauce, oil, vanilla, milk and mix well
-blend above mixture into dry ingredients
-stir in blueberries and grated apple

Spoon into a greased 12 cup muffin tin and sprinkle a pinch of golden sugar on each
Bake for 20 -23 minutes

Makes 12 muffins











No comments:

Post a Comment